Monday, August 15, 2011

Some Scarves

I finished the scarf I was knitting for Special Olympics.  More info on this project at the link below.  You get all the information on the guidelines and this year's colors.  There is a great deal of freedom to play with various stitch patterns for this scarf project since the only true requirements are size of finished scarf and the two colors.  Beyond that, your imagination is your only limitation.  I chose to knit a feather and fan, with a 2 stitch garter border. 

http://scarvesforspecialolympics.org/
Another scarf I finished is a sample to share with my knitting guild as part of our community service knitting.  This is a free pattern online and I love it!  It was super simple to knit and makes a nice warm, attractive scarf.   You can use worsted weight, chunky, or doubled worsted weight (which is what I did).  I was sorting some yarn last week and found two partial skeins of cream color worsted weight.  I cast on and knitted till one of the balls of yarn ran out.  I cast on the suggested 17 stitches on a #11 needle.  The finished scarf is 6.5 inches wide, which is wider than I personally like, but will probably be perfect for someone.  I like the drape of the finished knitting using the suggested #11 needle so will do that again.  This pattern can be found at: 

1 comment:

Alaina said...

Very nice. I really like the feather/fan one. One of my dear friends and her mother have been knitting scarves for Special Olympics. I have thought about doing it also - but just seem to always find other things to knit. Way cool that you are doing that.